From the BrewBlog of BorealBrewers – Grand Rapdis, Minnesota USA
Printed April 21, 2018
|O.G.:||1.075 - 1.115|
|F.G.:||1.018 - 1.030|
|ABV:||8.0 - 12.0%|
|Bitterness:||50 - 90 IBUs|
|Color:||30 - 40 SRM|
|Info:||An intensely flavored, big, dark ale. Roasty, fruity, and bittersweet, with a noticeable alcohol presence. Dark fruit flavors meld with roasty, burnt, or almost tar-like sensations. Like a black barleywine with every dimension of flavor coming into play.
Commercial Examples: Three Floyd’s Dark Lord, Bell’s Expedition Stout, North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, Stone Imperial Stout, Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, Scotch Irish Tsarina Katarina Imperial Stout, Thirsty Dog Siberian Night, Deschutes The Abyss, Great Divide Yeti, Southampton Russian Imperial Stout, Rogue Imperial Stout, Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout, Great Lakes Blackout Stout, Avery The Czar, Founders Imperial Stout, Victory Storm King, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.
This brew is Chad's and Jack's (Bemis) contribution of the Boreal Brewers 2012 Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout. Club members are brewing up 53 gallons to pour into a 53 gallon Jack Daniels oak barrel. We're all trying to brew a similar recipe, and our's is really close to Buds.
We were a little light on the Roasted Barley, but decided to try to make it up with chocolate malt and switching from Crystal 90 to Crystal 120.
Pitched yeast from 2 starters, and 1 dry at 6:00pm Very active fermentation by 8:30pm. I put a blow off tube in right away. I expect to see it pushing Kräusen by morning.
|30.00 pounds||American Pale Malt (2-Row)||66.5% of grist|
|1.75 pounds||German CaraMunich Malt I||3.9% of grist|
|3.00 pounds||American Chocolate Malt||6.6% of grist|
|1.63 pounds||American Roasted Barley||3.6% of grist|
|3.00 pounds||Crystal Malt 120L||6.6% of grist|
|3.00 pounds||Crystal Malt 60L||6.6% of grist|
|2.00 pounds||Belgian Aromatic Malt||4.4% of grist|
|0.75 pounds||British Black Patent Malt||1.7% of grist|
|45.13 pounds||Total Grain Weight||100% of grist|
|4.00 pounds||Brown Sugar, Dark|
|2 tablets||Whirlfloc @ 15 minutes|
|3tsp||Yeast Nutrient @ 15 minutes|
Chinook 11.5% Pellets @ 60 minutes
Northern Brewer 8% Pellets @ 30 minutes
|4.00 ounces|| Williamette 4.5% Pellets @ 0 minutes
|14.00 ounces||Total Hop Weight||112 AAUs|
Cereal Mash and Single Infusion Mash
|Grain Temperature:||72°F||Tun Temperature:||72°F|
Boil cereal adjuncts to add to infusion mash.
|1||Protein Rest||Infusion||30 min.||104°F||
Add 30% of mash water at 111° F / 44° C
|2||Protein Rest||Infusion||45 min.||122°F||
Add 10% of mash water at 181° F / 83° C
Add 25% of mash water at 200° F / 93° C
|4||Mash Out||Infusion||10 min.||168°F||
Add 35% of mash water at 208° F / 98° C
Made two 500 ML starters the day before. Used a pack of Safale 05 in each. They seemed to take off just fine, and produced a good yeast. (This seemed evident by the fact that I had a good strong fermentation in the Ferminator just two hours later).
This was a huge grain bill for my equipment, but we did it anyway. We ground it into two identical batches, of about 22.2 lbs per mash tun (we used my two 10 Gal water coolers).
Double Batch Sparge grains
Pre-boil gravity was 1.075
The brewhouse efficiency was calculated to be about 67%.
Boil kettle could not hold all wort, so we boiled 13 gallons in main kettle and 2 gallons in smaller kettle. Then we merged them at 30 minutes
Boiled exactly 70 minutes, first hops at 60. Then 2nd hop addition at 30 minutes, and final hops at flame out.
Added 2 whirlflock tablets and 3 tsp of yeast nutrient at 15 minutes.
We carried the full boil kettle (14 gallons) to the side of my house where we let it rest/settle for 20 minutes. It was 25F outside, so it wasn't going to spoil. We sanitized up our equipment, and drained the wort through my plate chiller and into my Ferminator. Gravity is one hell of a pump!.
Pitched our yeast starters, plus one pack of dry Safale 05, and oxygenated the heck out of it.
Collected a sample from the kettle drain hose, and determined the OG to be 1.097.
I used a couple of hop bags for the first itme on this batch. One bag held first and 2nd hop additions, and the other one for the final hop addition. The bags really controlled the hop residue, but i am not sure how well the hops get used in the boil. Tasting the wort after the boil suggested it worked ok. Time will tell.
|Strike Water Amount:||15|
|Strike Water Temperature:|
|Sparge Water Amount:||7.5|
|Sparge Water Temperature:|
|Original Gravity:||1.097 / 23.1° P|