Saturday September 27, 2014, 5PM @ The Forest History Center
The Grand Rapids Area Community Foundation is building on last year’s success and expanding their food and beverage selections including a Bavarian pig roast, wienerschnitzel and bratwurst, all locally sourced.
The Boreal Brewers will be providing home brew beer samples in the Homebrew Pavilion and our hosts have expanded their beer offerings at their beer wagon.
In addition to the German Game Midway, enjoy some festive polka music by Wisconsin’s own Polkarioty!
Save the Date: Saturday, September 27, 2014 – 5-10pm
Tickets online @ www.gracf.org*
Location: Forest History Center, 2609 County Road 76, Grand Rapids, MN 5744
*Note: None of the proceeds of this event are paid to the Boreal Brewers Homebrew club nor any of its members sharing their beer at this event.
Larry Johnson, in the background, serving his IPA and discussing his hobby with patrons.
The Boreal Brewers Homebrew Club provided a tasting at the ElderCircle Harvest Dinner on Thursday, August 21st, 2014. This is our fourth consecutive year providing a tasting for this annual event, and we enjoyed it as much as the patrons of the dinner.
Beers were provided by four club members: Benson, Johnson, Scott and Haatvedt. Johnson and Haatvedt conducted the tasting, and had many opportunities to discuss their homebrewing hobby.
Some of the beers offered for sampling included two India Pale Ales, an American Brown Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, California Common, Boreal Brewers Cask Aged Imperial Stout, and two meads. The tasters commented several times about how they appreciated the chance to try so many different and distinct styles of beer.
ElderCircle’s mission is “to maintain the independence of seniors by linking them, their families and caregivers to services”, thus enabling them to remain in their homes longer. The Harvest Dinner is a fundrasing event and a chance to raise awareness with community members about the aging population in this area, and how ElderCircle is trying to meet the needs of those seniors Learn more about ElderCircle at www.eldercircle.org.
Brew Club Meeting Announcement! Monday, August 18, 6:00 PM, KAXE Board Room. Aside from sampling potluck brews and food, we have some business about upcoming events.
1) Recap of the Deer River event. How was it for you? What can we do better next year?
2) The annual Eldercircle Harvest Dinner will be held on Thursday, August 21. We need a few volunteers, or a few donations of beers, meads or wines to offer for sampling. This year’s event will be at the Timberwind Stained Glass Studio. 3303 Horseshoe Lake Road. It’s a casual, fun evening, of chatting with people who are appreciative about tasting your good homebrew.
3) The second annual Grand Rapids Oktoberfest is coming up Sept 27. We will have a tent set aside to offer homebrewed beer and wine samples. There will be live music, extremely good food, commercial Oktoberfest beers, white German wines, homebrew sampling and other fun and events. This will be held at the Forest History center, and the intent is to make this into an annual community event. Check out the Facebook site.
4) KAXE is having an event near Halloween, and we need to plan for that as well.
5) KAXE sent us a nice note thanking the club for the donations of beer for the Riverfest event. Thanks to the brewers who donated.
PLEASE contact me if you can make the Eldercircle Harvest Dinner to serve brew samples.
Note that all these events are samplings, so you can serve 2 oz samples of your products, and do not need to plan on giving away a bunch.
The Home brew contest and sampling was a huge success. The Boreal Brewers Homebrew Club were proud to be part of the event.
There were 53 beers entered for the competition (a new record), 16 brewers providing samples to the public (another record) at least 170 gallons of wonderful, hand crafted beer available for tasting (yet another record).
The winners of the beer judging competition are…
Best of Show: Barrel Aged Sour – Levi & Caleb Loesch.
1st – Double Eagle Doppelbock; Jordan Osse & Steve Olds
2nd – Wheelbender Hell; Tom Urbanski
3rd – Riverside Cream Ale; Randy Clay
1st – Two Rivers IPA; Andy Berry
2nd – Citra War Pony IPA; Bob Parsons
3rd – Ferocious IPA; David Owens
1st – Imperial Stout; Chad Haatvedt
2nd – Sasparella Stout; Jordan Osse & Steve Olds
3rd – Blackout Stout; Jordan Osse & Steve Olds
1st – Barrel Aged Sour; Levi & Caleb Loesch
2nd – Wild Rice Ale; Joseph Procopio
3rd – Apricot Wheat; Randy Clay
Here are some photos from the event. More details coming soon.