Brew Club Meeting Announcement! Monday, August 18, 6:00 PM, KAXE Board Room. Aside from sampling potluck brews and food, we have some business about upcoming events.
1) Recap of the Deer River event. How was it for you? What can we do better next year?
2) The annual Eldercircle Harvest Dinner will be held on Thursday, August 21. We need a few volunteers, or a few donations of beers, meads or wines to offer for sampling. This year’s event will be at the Timberwind Stained Glass Studio. 3303 Horseshoe Lake Road. It’s a casual, fun evening, of chatting with people who are appreciative about tasting your good homebrew.
3) The second annual Grand Rapids Oktoberfest is coming up Sept 27. We will have a tent set aside to offer homebrewed beer and wine samples. There will be live music, extremely good food, commercial Oktoberfest beers, white German wines, homebrew sampling and other fun and events. This will be held at the Forest History center, and the intent is to make this into an annual community event. Check out the Facebook site.
4) KAXE is having an event near Halloween, and we need to plan for that as well.
5) KAXE sent us a nice note thanking the club for the donations of beer for the Riverfest event. Thanks to the brewers who donated.
PLEASE contact me if you can make the Eldercircle Harvest Dinner to serve brew samples.
Note that all these events are samplings, so you can serve 2 oz samples of your products, and do not need to plan on giving away a bunch.
We will be meeting Monday July 14th at the KAXE Boardroom in Grand Rapids. The meeting will run from 6 until no later than 9.
A bit of a celebration on getting the new homebrew law passed
Discussion of a new offer from AHA; club-based liquor liability insurance at a remarkably low price
Beer donations and sharing at the upcoming KAXE river festival July 18th and 19th.
Discussion and logistics for the Deer River BBQ and Brewfest, July 18th and 19th
General club business
Talking about beer; techniques, ingredients and sharing a few now-legal ones
Other events coming up – ElderCircle tasting in August and Oktoberfest in September
Email me BEFORE the 14th, preferably Friday the 11th, if you need a new membership card. That will give me time to print new ones before the meeting. This is for existing members with an expired card, and new members joining on the spot. firstname.lastname@example.org
This week’s America’s Test Kitchen (PRX program) 4th of July special “The Amazing History, Lore and Science of America’s Favorite Drink”. This year, it’s all about American beer. They speak with historian, author, and self-proclaimed ranter Maureen Ogle about her book Ambitious Brew: The Story of American Beer. And they taste test beer with expert Lauren Clark. Here’s the show below:
Join us July 19th
Northern Minnesota’s first legal homebrew competition is coming soon! The Annual Deer River Bar-b-que & Brew Fest is going to be held on Saturday July 19, 2014, and home brewers are encouraged to enter their craft into the competition and share with the public during the tasting.
More information about the big day can be found at the Deer River Chamber of Commerce web site. Here you can find the entry forms for the competition the tasting. Home brewers who are sharing their beer at the tasting can expect:
- an event t-shirt
- a booth to set up and serve your beer from
- ice for keeping your beer chilled
- serving cups, napkins, etc
- lots of opportunities to talk about your craft with craft beer lovers
- fun, fun, fun
Brewers are encouraged to camp out Saturday night and enjoy a bonfire, good food and never ending stories.
Mark your calendars, fill out the registration form, and get set for a great day of fun. Tell your friends and neighbors. We welcome all homebrewers to this inaugural* event.
Leave a comment below and tell us what beers you’ll be bringing to the judging and tasting!
*The Boreal Brewers Homebrew Club was instrumental in getting legislation changed to make tastings and competitions legal in Minnesota.