In late February, at a secret location deep in the North Woods, a number of our intrepid brewers made a major step in the Bourbon Barrel Project. We assembled our accumulated Imperial Stouts, and transferred them all to a once-used (Imperial Stout) Jack Daniels barrel.
Prior to the filling, we taste tested each for potentially disqualifying flaws. All came through with flying colors.
The Fill took longer than we thought, as the barrel required 53 gallons. More than ten times longer than transferring 5 gallons. Luckily, as with most homebrew events, we had excellent food and beer.
We purged the barrel with carbon dioxide before filling to avoid any oxygen contact, then began racking.
We observed carefully so as to not overfill the thing.
After a final sanitizing wipe down, we bunged the barrel. Then we pulled the bung back out, as we realized we had forgotten to taste the final blend. Absolutely excellent!
Then we engaged in some barrel hugging photos, to celebrate all the work that went into this.
Finally, we labeled the barrel, and now plan to sit back for a year and wait before we open it.